How ranked team builder will work in League of Legends
Team builder has been one of the best ideas Riot has had for the game, although the feature itself leaves a lot to be desired. The combination of few people using team builder, as well a the couple of rarely played roles makes the queue times unbearable. However, Riot seem’s to have thought the system over and redesigned it for it’s upcoming debut in ranked. Here is what they have to say:
The new Champ Select flow is now:
1) Players can invite friends into a Lobby.
2) Each player is required to select at least 2 Positions (such as Top/Mid, or Mid/Jungle). On average, Ranked players only play 2.2 positions, so we wanted to start simple with a Pick-2 design, but have some backups like rank-sorting all 5 positions if there are queue time issues. We also have designs to incentivize mastering all positions in the future.
3) There’s a new position called “Fill.”
4) We’re currently asking Duo Queues to cover at least 3 unique positions, to further improve queue times. Duo Queues will still have a higher chance of getting the exact 2 positions they want, but it is not 100% guaranteed.
5) Once you’ve chosen your positions, we match you into a full team and you enter Champion Select.
6) We’ve made some changes to how drafting works; however, we’ll be talking more about this in a future design blog.
7) During Champ Select, you can still negotiate with your teammates to lane swap or trade champs if you want a more favorable match-up just like Champ Select today.
8) Once drafting is done, your team enters the game.
People often don’t get the role they want in ranked, leading to salty and toxic behavior which in turn leads to lost games. Here is hoping the new system is going to work.