First Look at Shards Of War
The Shards of War Beta has now started and it seems that everyone are able to participate on it long as you have an account, which you can register from here: http://www.shardsofwar.com (Let us remember this is only beta and it doesn’t necessarily reflect the final product of the game). To give some background to the game first, it is developed by same guys who created Merc Elite, but that game didn’t seem to reach mainstream success so Bigpoint decided to pull the plug on that project.
Shards of War does use the same engine as Merc Elite, but there is some significant changes such as the interface looks quite different, but same gameplay aspects do exist, but perhaps more depth with the Loadout system. The game takes lot of influence from Heroes Of The Storm since it uses the Team Level system, which emphasizes team-play aspect of the genre, more than individual type of gameplay.
To put comparison how the game is different from Merc Elite here is some few key points;
- Instead of using Browser the game has its own desktop client (Which is good thing)
- The In-game interface looks much more informative than on Merc Elite
- Characters seem to be more unique on kit / visual design
- Same Combat system pretty much, but each character has additional ability
- Item/upgrade system that allows you to level up passive traits on your character after getting team levels
- Crafting system which allows you to create different loadout pieces
I’m really looking forward to see more content in this game such as new skins and characters. The games don’t last too long, compared to other MOBA’s so its ideal for lunch break game for people who don’t have much time. Stay tuned for more Shards of War Content.